We preserve the best of the past!
Stampriet’s history goes all the way back to 1898, when it was only a small trading post in the vastness of German South West Africa. Stampriet and its immediate vicinity is the site of many historical battles and events and evidence of these battles and events can still be found in the form of antique remains left behind by the people of that time. Some antiques can be seen in the Stampriet Historical Guesthouse.
The name “Stampriet” was originally #A#Ams in the Nàmá language. The # is a clicking sound. In the Nama language a reed is #Ab. A clump of reeds is #Ams. It was a fountain, a oasis in the dry country. The fountain was surrounded by a clump of reeds. The inhabitants flattened the reeds to make thinner strokes with which they braided shelters. From there the original name “Stamprietfontein” which later become just Stampriet. (Read the book “Jare van onreg” written by Connie Zondagh).
More books written by Connie Zondagh from Stampriet:
Today Stampriet is a small village resting on the banks of the Auob river. Stampriet is perhaps best known for its fresh water springs and magnificent Palmtrees. Stampriet is only just big enough to provide most modern comforts and still have no lack of nature. It is surrounded by limestoneridges, red dunes and a variety of trees, on an almost endless resource of artesian water.
Row of 15 Palmtrees planted in 1917